Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Altruistic Views

As I read the title of the book, Selfish Gene, the size of the font, and the description of the content, I filled myself with courage to commence reading because I imagined it would be a very monotonous and difficult book to read. Surprisingly, it isn’t up until now. I have actually been enjoying the book and have been reading with much enthusiasm, I find that the book is written very simply, not to say that its simple in context but its language isn’t so complicated and isn’t filled with scientific jargon. The diction seems intended for all audience, making it smoother to read.

In Selfish Gene, Dawkins talks about how we are condemned to being selfish because it is part of our biological system, unfortunately. I have always thought that there had to be some scientific explanation to our acts, why have we always been the way we are? What is the reason behind it? According to the book: our genes. In order to change this, and break the cycle we have to become altruistic, unselfish. In my opinion it’s a mission impossible. Dawkins says, “Be warned that if you wish, as I do, to build a society in which individuals cooperate generously and unselfishly towards a common good, you can expect little help from biological nature.” (pg. 3) I’m not so sure if I understand Dawkins in this anecdote, he says that if we, as a society, as a whole cooperate and work together than we should expect little beneficial interference from nature. I would have to disagree in that we will always have to take nature into consideration for all our actions. And like I stated above I feel it is an unreachable goal to try to pertain a peaceful world, because there will always be evil characters in our lives, selfish people.

He says that people fight and kill just to “protect” or “defend” our nation, regardless if we are fighting against our own species, “Moreover, they are encouraged to kill other individuals about whom nothing is known except that they belong to a different nation.” (pg.9) This bewilders me. I consider myself incapable of killing another human being, no matter where he’s from or what he’s done, when does it become my right to destroy something that I didn’t build. If this selfishness comes in our genes, is there a way to take it out? With this said, I also feel that at times it is necessary to defend ourselves and we are all entitled to protect our rights when they are taken from us or when we feel threatened, a perfect example: war.

No comments:

Post a Comment